Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Lessons of a Newbie Blogger

After considering starting a blog for weeks, I finally managed to sign up at Blogger last Tuesday. To be honest, it is exactly the way I thought it would be and at the same time completely different. I thought I should take my “1 week anniversary” as a opportunity to reflect on the things that blogging hast taught me.

I am not nearly as clever or eloquent as I had hoped.
Before I started blogging I also thought of myself as a pretty good writer. Now that I actually read the things I post, my writing just seems a little ordinary, simple… and boring. All the more reason for me to continue blogging, though!

Blogging is hard work.
“Just drop a couple of lines about some random thing you read on the news in the morning”. Turns out, there is a lot more to it than just that. I find myself actually researching things I would like to write about, collecting thoughts throughout the day (I really need to buy a little notebook to write them down) and then spending some time writing the posts.

Blogging etiquette is elaborate.
To avoid any major faux pas, I decided to read up on proper etiquette in the blogosphere. 2 hours and 30 blogs later, I finally felt I had read it all….

The blogosphere is HUGE
I was never really too much into reading blogs, before I started my own. Now I am addicted… I keep adding RSS feeds to my reader and just hate that I have to decide which ones I can read every day and which ones have to be saved for when I have more time.

I could probably think of a bunch of more things I picked up on, but the most important thing I learned is to keep posts reasonably short…

No comments: